Thursday, October 15, 2009

Open Source, insert foot

As I've mentioned several times, I've been running Linux (Ubuntu) on my laptop since late last year. For the most part, it's been terrific. My system starts up much more quickly, runs all of the software I need, and, although this may not seem like much of a feature, shuts down in a matter of seconds. We have a desktop system that runs Vista; it can take five minutes or more to shut down the system.
There are a few quirks. Adobe Flash takes a bit of extra setup because my systems is 64-bit. Some devices are finicky. If you search for help online, you'll find five different ways to accomplish a task, but that's if you don't search very hard.
In addition to keeping up with the technical information regarding Linux, I also try to keep current on topics related to open source software. There are very interesting legal, technical, and political threads in the blogosphere. A few companies, such as Black Duck Software, are making a living by helping other companies manage intellectual property, including licenses and copyrights, in a complex software development world.
Yesterday I attended, or, rather, tried to attend, a webinar on Unraveling the Complexities of the GPL. GPL is the GNU General Public License. The GPL is the North Star for discussions related to open source software.
Without a troubled thought, I connected to the designated website at the appointed time and learned that the web conferencing software, gotomeeting.com, doesn't support Linux.
Grumble, grumble. Fortunately, I have a virtual image of Windows 7 by way of VirtualBox. With a quick scramble, I started the virtual machine, connected to the web site, downloaded the conferencing software, and joined the presentation five minutes late.
After the meeting, I had an email exchange with the Black Duck marketing director. I explained my problem. The director empathized but said that most of their users ran Windows or MacOS.
Shortly after the presentation, I received an announcement of the next meeting:

At the web site, I learn that still there's no joy to be had.


No comments:

Blog Archive