Monday, August 03, 2009

RoasterBoy's Law of Conservation of Stuff

If you start out with three boxes of stuff,throw out one boxful,


have another ready to throw out,
you'll still have three boxfuls of stuff.
These are boxes of stuff that I've casually regarded as "my mother's stuff" for the nearly 10 years that she's been gone. On closer inspection, it is, by law and by fact, my stuff. Well, all except for an arithmetic worksheet from a kid named Barry from the first grade. 
There are lot of interesting items in this trove, stuff that I'll be scanning and posting in the coming weeks. One gem is a newsletter written by my first grade teacher, Mrs.  L'Ecuyer. I learned that I had a ball point pen on my birthday. (There were five kids with the same birthday in this little town's school.)
In case you're wondering, yes, I think about about  George Carlin's riff on stuff (YouTube link) all of the time that I'm going through this, um, stuff. I'm grateful to my mother for many things, including saving these bits of my history. It's humbling to know that then, as now, I would be characterized as untidy.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Imagine that you would have a comment about your handwriting being untidy. That must be what drove you to typing, it did to me.

Pink Granite said...

I'm a bit envious. Not of the stuff to sort through and deal with - I have plenty thanks - but that your Mom saved such simple treasures.
My Mom on the other hand is a thrower-outer. She gets a bee in her bonnet and things get tossed.

Blog Archive