Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Making the Baby Jesus cry

At the risk of being labeled an enemy combatant in Bill O'Reilly's War on Christmas, I'd like to note that radio stations that play non-stop Christmas music this early are doing the moral equivalent of dousing the manger with high fructose corn syrup and then inviting legions of ants to crawl all over Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.
Starting last week, two Boston stations, WODS (odious?) and WROR, have adopted an all-Christmas format. Yeah, I know, just change the station. Blieve me, I do, as fast as I can. I stumble on this dreck when I hit the scan button, looking for a decent tune. I hit the scan button again and, most often, wind up somewhere on the left end of the dial, listening to a college or other non-commercial station. Tell me this, which is more dangerous to the soul of the nation - George Carlin's seven dirty words or the merciless repetition of Jingle Bell Rock that's like a steady drip of battery acid on our spirits?

No comments:

Blog Archive