Thursday, August 28, 2008

I took college.

It's college ranking time again. Although I never buy the magazine, I don't mind noting that US News and World Report once again rates my alma mater at the top of liberal arts colleges in the nation. (It's ok that we're tied with the other guys; we were slightly more selective among applicants.)



It's also important to remember that, as the Wall Street Journal tells us, for most people, college is a waste of time. Only once did my college degree come up in a job interview. That was during my first interview for a job in high tech. The interview was long and rambling, with only a little bit of discussion about the specific work that I'd be doing (editing and proofreading) and the skills that I would need to do the job.

It's also important to note that college can be a great big waste of money, too. Radar reports on the worst colleges in America. The biggest rip-off, for example, is that other college in Amherst: Hampshire College. "If college is an investment, Hampshire is a commemorative pewter tankard from the Franklin Mint."

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Blog Archive