Monday, July 14, 2008

Paper reduction

We're conducting an experiment of sorts. I've changed our Boston Globe subscription to Sunday only. During the week, I'll read their news on their website, mostly via RSS feeds. All of their comics are online as well.
For a long time, years, after we'd moved to Holden, I'd been wishing for home delivery of the Globe. The Globe is a good newspaper, not as good as it had been, but still a good paper. For a while, particularly with the publication of the Pentagon papers in 1971, the Globe was a national force. It had a solid Washington bureau, excellent foreign correspondents, and award-winning investigative teams. And, back then, it had Pogo. (For a while, when I was in college in the 60s, I subscribed to the Herald, just to get Pogo when the strip ran in that paper.) So, for 10 or 15 years, we'd ride through the countryside and I'd envy the green Globe delivery tubes that were in front of small-town homes.
IIRC, it wasn't until the New York Times company purchased the Worcester Telegram that we were able to get home delivery of the Globe. Since then, we've had several newspaper carriers. Gone are the days of a kid on a bicycle; to make money, you need have motorized divisions. Our current carriers are great. The papers show up on our doorstep around 4:45 on weekdays and 5:30 on weekends.
So why change? Why drop the daily edition? I have more time to read so, if anything, I ought add another paper or two. Not surprisingly, the reasons are several.
  • The web has changed  everything. The streams of news merge into a river of Amazonian proportions, but this river can also be filtered, sliced, and mashed into a news source that meets my interest while also allowing for serendipity. 
  • I'd like to save a few trees. Although our town has an excellent, single-stream recycling program, it does seem odd that two people can fill a 95-gallon barrel with paper and other recyclables. 
  • We'd like to save a few bucks. I don't mind reading ad-supported content on the web any more than I mind reading ad-supported newspapers.
  • The Globe is less compelling than it used to be. I realize that we may be talking about a death spiral for newspapers: reduced content leading to fewer subscribers leading to more staff and content reductions. Nevertheless, the management should have thought of that. The Wall Street Journal, for example, established an excellent online edition back in 1996. Even though it's a paid site (about $120/year), it has attracted a million subscribers.
The reduced quantity of news from our local and regional newspapers, with  more and more content shifted to the web, does leave people without good Internet access with fewer options. The digital divide is a topic for another day. In the meantime, for the summer, anyway, I'm giving up the print version of the weekday Boston Globe. I'll report back from time to time on how well I can eat my morning cereal while reading the online version.

No comments:

Blog Archive