Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Good hearing starts with good listening

Last week, I met with an ENT doctor and then an audiologist to discuss hearing aids. (Feel free to post your jokes about hearing loss in the Comments section.) I've had hearing problems for 20-or-so years, primarily in my right ear, to the point of having surgery in the mid-90s. The surgery didn't improve my hearing; it seemed to slow the decline for a while. My hearing tests show a notch at 1kHz, just at the start of the range of the spoken voice. Conversations are important, so to stay on the right side of people, I have to stay on the right side of people.

In order to provide the power and signal processing that I need, the aid that I will need (we're planning for just one ear for now) is somewhat large, visible, and dorky. As if I should suddenly be concerned about looking dorky. This article shows that some manufacturers are trying to bring a sense of style to hearing aids.

Some of us, irrespective of our quality of hearing, are temperamentally inclined not to pay attention to what's going on around us. No hearing aid is going to fix that. Being hard of hearing isn't the problem; it's being hard of listening. A bunch of years ago, I was talking excitedly with a friend, a minister from another church, about a new insight I'd recently gained. Listening, I said, was more important than talking. I talked about this for about 10 minutes. It was only as I driving home that I realized that I hadn't asked her a single question.

3 comments:

eba said...

thanks for the early morning chuckles, Karl. I would think they could enhance both the style and the dork-factor by embedding a small flashing blue light in each hearing aid. don't you think that boomers would just flock to the hearing aid counters at that point?

Lori said...

Ha! Recently I watched the movie "Pulp Fiction" for the first time in a long while. I've seen that movie dozens of times, but this time, I caught something I've never remembered before. Uma Thurman's character asks John Travolta's if he listens, or waits for people to talk. He answers truthfully, that he waits for people to talk. And that got me realizing that I often do the same, more often than I would like to admit. So I have tried to be conscientious of that more recently and actually listen to what people are saying.

(Life lesson brought to you by Quentin Tarantino. Who'd have thunk it?)

Lori said...

Sorry, that should have been, "listens, or waits to talk." Still working on my AM coffee here. :(

Blog Archive