Friday, March 10, 2006

About this thing called work

Our afternoon turned into evening as my boss met with a few of us to plan our project activities for the next few months. To quote a former co-worker, "We're doomed." We have much too much work for the people we have on staff. We have a handful of open software engineering positions now and will open a few more in other disciplines, perhaps as early as Monday. Of course, the time spent recruiting and interviewing those people will consume the time that we need for work. My manager has a strong preference for personal recommendations, so anyone we bring in would have a fast track through the processes.

Geek to Live: ETech Highlights, part I - Lifehacker: "“Continuous partial attention” leaves us overstimulated, overwhelmed and unfulfilled" - they've been readng my mail.

There are some jobs where women make more than men. I don't know about pay, but, in my business, here and before, men and women were pretty much equaly represented up to the director level. Above that, into the VP and Chief Whatever Officers, it's mostly white guys.

Fortune is carrying an interesting piece on the origin and evolution of the cubicle. Cubicles weren't intended to be evil. As with reengineering, however, once the concept became known as a cheap solution, well, game over.

My automated search for a technical documentation job turned up this offering - On-Site Coast Guard WMD/HAZMAT Professional. Yep, I could go searching for Weapons of Mass Destruction, provided that I had the right HAZWOPPER skills.

No comments:

Blog Archive