Sunday, January 08, 2006

Slouching toward Schaumburg

When I arrived at the ticket counter and learned that I would have to get my seat assignment at the gate, I knew that the flight to Chicago was full to overflowing. I checked in my suitcase because I was pretty sure that there wouldn't be any space available in the overhead bins.

The business travelers are easy to pick out in the lines at the security gates. They're the ones who have put their cell phones, pens, and spare change into their briefcase, are wearing shoes that are easy on and easy off, and have carry-on luggage that fits nicely into the x-ray machines. When it's done well, it's a joy to watch. It's not often done well, so the lines are long.

When I got to the gate, there was an announcement requesting people to give up their seats in exchange for a free ticket and an upgrade on the next flight out. I double-checked my schedule and learned that I didn't need to be at the customer site until noon. I could take the 8:00 flight, first class, and get there in plenty of time. So, I'm sleeping at home tonight instead of in a hotel in a chilly Chicago suburb (Hoffman Estates, right next to Schaumburg). I'll be on my way early. A night at home is worth it, even if it's a short night.

My suitcase is in O'Hare Airport.

No comments:

Blog Archive