Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A year of RoasterBoy

What I see in that first entry of this journal, a year ago today, is a guy off-balance, but still confident. The loss of the job was a big deal, but there were also good and fun and hopeful things to do each day.

I had my annual physical early last week. My doctor asked me how I was doing. I told him that I am doing worse than I was a year ago, but better than I was 20 years ago. The doctor noted some test scores that confirmed my assessment, so I'm scheduled for follow-up visits over the next few months.

And then I got sick. Again. Another respiratory infection that has me sounding like Darth Vader on a speaker phone. I worked on Thursday and Friday, when I certainly not have gone in. Saturday, we had a few things to do in the morning, and it's been red pj-time since then. Today's the first day that I've felt anything close to as good as I did when I told my doctor I was feeling worse than I did a year ago.

So, I've been sick a lot this past year. There's something to be learned in that. I haven't learned it yet, but there's something in there.

When I was a kid, I was very interested in astronomy. It was around the time of Sputnik and before there were dogs, other animals, or people in space. (Today is also the anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's space voyage.) I read books and drew maps of the solar system. You can imagine my excitement when I learn that there's a TV show called As the World Turns. A whole show on astronomy. You can imagine my disappointment when I saw the actual show.

Yesterday's Red Sox home opening was a good time. It's a tough crowd, to be sure. Even the batboy was booed during the introductions. The Yankees handled it all with good humor and class, staying on the steps of the dugout and watching all of the events. It was quite a production, with the Boston Symphony and Boston Pops playing the national anthem, F16s overhead. It was great to see Bill Russell, joined by Bobby Orr, Richard Seymour, and Tedy Bruschi to throw out the ceremonial first balls. That the game turned out as it did (8-1, Sox) was an added bit of sweetness.

A year ago, I was just starting the process of copying my music collection to my iPod. I learned yesterday that the President has an iPod as well. Here's a bit of what's on iPod One.

Happy Birthday, Woody.

No comments:

Blog Archive