Thursday, March 24, 2005

Today is Maundy Thursday. Being Unitarians at most, we didn't have a lot of Christian observances in our house when I was growing up, so the phrase didn't have much meaning until I was in my late 20s. And now? Well, let's say that I'm not alone in my pondering about the significance of these days.

Work has taken some surprising turns, mostly for the better. For several weeks, I was having a lot difficulty writing. My reviewers were catching simple mistakes that were embarrassing to me. I finished my final editing tasks on Monday and moved on to help the rest of the team with some technical issues. For those of you who care about such things, I was able to convert a FrameMaker document into the RoboHelp glossary format. It took a couple of hours and has made a few people, including the manager and project leader, quite happy.

About four inches of snow fell in our yard, less than expected and more than was needed.

In anticipation of the storm, I brought my laptop home. The system weighs about five pounds and fits nicely in a briefcase. In the early days of portable computing, some portable systems were just under 50 pounds. People have been trying to solve the problem of making portable writing systems for a long time. I wrote my high school papers on a black Smith-Corona manual typewriter. And, as much as I grumbled when I jammed the keys, I now know that Americans have it easy compared to what others have to do.

This morning's automated job search for a technical documentation position brought a listing for a job as a Hotel Inspector. "This role also will include the documentation of hotel facility evaluation conducted while traveling to hotel properties." Requirements include: "Utilizes excellent oral and written communication skills."

Marley's foot was bothering him this morning, in turn waking us up around 4:00. He'll go in for his surgery early tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Blog Archive