Tuesday, February 22, 2005

How great is this?! For the second time in a week, I've received email informing me that I've won the a lottery. This time, it's the Royal Spainish Lottery.

Not only do spammers use our email addresses to send us all of the junk that you see. They also spoof return addresses, sometimes using legitimate addresses, such as yours and mine. This morning, for example, I received a mail message stating that so-and-so would be out of the office this week, but that I could contact thus-and-such if I had any questions. I'd not sent anything to so-and-so and cetainly not anything regarding "We deliver satisfcation!"

Imagine what it would take to change our calendar system. George Washington was born on 11 February 1732, under the Julian calendar. When he was a young man, in 1752, England and its colonies switched to the more accurate Gregorian calendar. The discrepancy between the two calendars at that time was 11 days. So, his birthday became 22 February. For a similar reason, the October Revolution, when the Russians established a communist state, is observed in November. The February Revolution that overthrew the tsar took place in March. Russia didn't relinquish the use of the Julian calendar until 1918.

Each time I see the adverts for Royal Caribbean cruise lines on TV, I wonder if these folks realize that this is the guy who is singing their jingle.

We have a little light snow falling, just enough to cover the cars and walks and decks that were cleaned off yesterday. Some friends are returning from a vacation in Central America. We wouldn't want them to think that we've been having springtime without them.

No comments:

Blog Archive