Thursday, September 23, 2004

This week marks six months since I left IBM. As with most anniversaries, it feels like both a short time and a long time. How have I changed? Well, certainly the pace of work has slowed considerably. My work days are shorter, allowing me to be home by 5PM most days. I've had to reacquaint myself with hands-on skills, both technical and writing, and am almost ready to call myself competent. Last week I participated in a project where I really knew my stuff and it felt good.

And what of the rest of my day? It appears that I've become more insular. Sure, this journal has allowed me to stay in touch with family and close friends. Son Adam observed that he didn't have many questions to ask me on the phone because the weblog has provided the news already. But my focus is on life at home (or the camp). Caring for our parents is something new and has been a good adventure, even with the challenges of changing roles. At the end of the day, though, I'm eager to get home and stay home. The time will come when I and we get out to see more people, but not now, not yet.

Hurricane Karl forgot to ask directions and may be in Iceland by early next week.

No comments:

Blog Archive