Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I'm at the point now at work where I can start to create project plans. I spent the first month learning the products and processes. There's still more to learn, but I have a good understanding of what's ahead. Project plans help me clarify what I know and what I don't know. Some people prepare meticulous plans. Mine tend to be painted in broader strokes. A former manager used to say that the good thing about a plan is that you can change it.

I've stayed by myself most of the time at the office, listening to music while working. I suppose I could and should spend more time in the aisles, talking with people, but I don't. The people are nice enough, even inviting me to go on lunch time walks.

Shortly after my car turned over 100,000 miles, the Check Engine light came on. Oh, geez, I thought, here it goes. As it turned out, there was just a minor problem with the emissions system, easily fixed. While I waited for my car at the dealership, I was able to use their wireless network to connect to the systems at work. It won't be long before Internet access will be as ubiquitous as radio.

What have I learned then? Lately, it's been about planning. If I know what's most important and know the resources that I have available, I can make decisions more easily. Without a framework, my decisions are no better than a coin toss.

No comments:

Blog Archive