Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Another rough night of sleep. I am not worried about anything in particular and so don't spend the night thinking about things that might keep me awake. I'm just not sleep. Oh, I'll doze for an hour here and there, but mostly I listen to the BBC, hoping that the same cycle of news stories will, after a time, let me drift off.

So, what's ahead for today? For starters I'll go out for a run. I haven't had a lot of physical activity in the last couple of days, perhaps causing as well as caused by the lack of sleep. I have several follow-up phone calls and emails on the job search. There's also a backlog of filing. I also have a scattered collection of half-read magazines and books. The weather is supposed to be nice today, so perhaps I'll sit outside and read. Yesterday I spent the afternoon in the office, paying bills and taking care of other chores that had been kicking around the in-basket for a while.

Yesterday, the 22nd, as I'd mentioned recently, marked three months out of work. It's been even longer when you consider the amount of time that I spent looking for work inside of IBM. I've learned some lessons about how I got into this. It was pride mostly, pride that didn't let me see what was really going on around me. Maybe that's part of the lesson here as well. I guess you can never go too far wrong if you make humility (and the awareness that it brings) a major life goal.

I think that I'm getting close to the edge of my primary rule in writing this journal - don't tell me what you think; tell me what you did.

No comments:

Blog Archive